Our legendary award-winning poet, writer, community trailblazer, arts & culture editor and above all else– friend, Bryan Thao Worra, is in need of our community’s help. Do you have Bryan’s back? I’m sharing one of our favorite poems to remind the world the impact of his words.
“Aftermaths” by Bryan Thao Worra
Sometimes, I want to tell you.
Laying by your side, it’s a mystery to explain
Why I gave up my poetry for so long.
It’s a mystery to explain why I told you my mother is dead,
When I really don’t know what happened to her in those distant jungles.
I loved you, telling you everything I knew about myself,
Only to find, as the years went on, how little I really knew.
I can’t dream of my father, his face was blown off by an
Anonymous enemy rifle before a picture could be taken.
I don’t have the voice to sing songs to you,
Or the stories, to tell our children who their grandparents
The past has no gifts for me except an amnesiac’s freedom.
History has been swallowed into a speculative grave–
I don’t have a trace anymore, except the tales of strangers
Who saw my heritage slowly burned away
Help Bryan get back to what he does best. We even have thank you gifts for your donations: As a thank you for lifting Bryan up, our team of creatives is offering the below thank you gifts for the specific $ levels donated. It’s your choice if you would like a gift or not for your contribution. Items are limited supply. Since the team is volunteer-based, all costs associated with shipping + handling must be covered by recipient. For questions, send us a message.
- $500 – Portrait painted by award-winning artist Mali Kouanchao (4 available)
- $150 – Digital portrait of you/friend/loved one illustrated by acclaimed graphic designer Mike Davis (3 available)
- $100 – 1-Hour Photo Session by Krysada Binly Phounsiri (Note: CA only)
- $75 – “Dragon” Art Print by Sayon (5 available, 20×30” size)
- $40 – Batik and Faux Fur Infinity Scarf By Buatique (20 available)
- $20 – Batik Apron by Buatique (25 available)
-Chanida Phaengdara Potter, email@example.com