Updated: April 15, 2016
It’s about that time when Southeast Asian New Years are in full force and again, communications about the happenings are bare and invisible. For those who are fans of community event flyers, not all flyers are comprehensive nor are they created equal, but as our cultural sayings go– we do with what we have.
So, here’s a roundup of New Year events in Minnesota that celebrate our respective Lao, Thai, and Khmer cultures. Since the past few years have been unpredictably cold weather, you’ll find that many of the temples will rent out local venues to make their blessings to the masses more accessible. There’s also been a surge of new and sustaining temples; which has been exciting to see.
Got more to add to the list for Minnesota (or others in your Southeast Asian communities)? Are the details incorrect? Let us know to help make the list better. Send us the official details on who, what, when, where to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saturday, April 9, 2016 – 10:00AM-5:00PM – Wat Forest Lake at Lao Family Community of MN 320 University Avenue West, Saint Paul, MN 55103. Contact: 612-999-3297.
- Saturday, April 9, 2016 – 6:00PM – 8:30PM – Minnesota Cambodian Communities Council (M3C) at Shakopee Ballroom and Banquet Center 2400 4th Ave E, Shakopee, MN 55379. More details on their Facebook event page here.
- Saturday, April 16, 2016 – 9:30AM – Wat Lao Xayabhoummaram, Zimmerman at Buasavanh Hall 7324 Lakeland Ave N, Brooklyn Park, MN 55428. Contact: 763-856-0601.
- Saturday, April 15-16th, 2016 at Wat Lao Buddhasamakidham 57825 349TH ST, Warroad, MN 56763
- Saturday, April 15-16th, 2016 at Wat Lao Farmington 22605 Cedar Ave, Farmington, MN 55024
- Saturday, April 16th, 2016 at Watt Munisotaram 2925 220th St E., Hampton, MN 55031 (Khmer)
- Sunday, April 17, 2016 – 10:00AM – 3:00PM – Wat Thai of Minnesota 10863 208th NW, Elk River, MN 55330. Details on their Facebook event page here.
- Saturday, April 30, 2016 – 9:00AM – 1:00AM – Wat Sirijundhawas at Neisen’s Sports Bar & Grill a4851 West 123rd Street, Savage, MN 55378. Contact: 612-986-2869.
DON’T MISS OUT!
Join us for a new year mingler with our awesome team and mother organization, The SEAD Project‘s Sabai Sabai New Year Happy Hour, co-hosted by Ginger Hop located 201 East Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55414. The drink deal? In addition to their great Happy Hour specials, it’s $4 on all Southeast Asian beers and $4 house red and white. Come get Lao’d with us! Details on Facebook.
For other posts on Lao New Year-related traditions, see: